Thursday December 28, 2023
Uganda Premier League
BUL FC VS Busoga United
FUFA Technical Centre
BUL FC will seek to put up one of the finest shows in front of its own fans on a Thursday evening, as they host neighbors Busoga United at FUFA technical centre in the first of the four Jinja derbies this season.
BUL have continued their impressive overall form, with the Eastern Giants losing one game only in twelve matches, finding themselves in the first position with 29 points, five better of Vipers SC in second place.
The Eastern Giants come into the game looking to make it six league games unbeaten after picking up a thrilling 3-2 away win over Vipers last Friday. Nicholas Mwere, Lawrence Tezikya and Ibrahim Mugulusi scored to earn them the vital three points.
Busoga United are in the 14th place on the table. They have amassed 12 points so far this season which sees them just one point from the safety spot.
In their last outing, they drew 2-2 at home to URA. Emmanuel Ajo and Hussein Ssajjabbi gave Busoga a halftime lead but strikes from Bruno Bunyaga and Moses Aliro in the second half meant they had to settle for just a point.
Former BUL coach Peter Onen is in charge of the visitors while the Eastern Giants tactician Abbey Kikomeko Bogere is an icon at Busoga United having coached them right from the regional league to the Uganda premier league, winning them the big league trophy in the process.
The last clash between the sides ended 1-1 in April at Kakindu stadium. This is going to be their 16th meeting.
Pascal Ngobi remains the only absentee for BUL. Coach Abbey Kikomeko Bogere confirmed Reagan Kalyowa returned to full fitness and ready to feature, while defenders – Benon Tahomera and Walter Ochora who have been on suspension are also back.
While previewing the match, the coach warned that it will not be a walk in the park but remained optimistic saying that the team will flex the muscles to bag all the points.
“Busoga United knows us very well. Most of the players at BUL were in Busoga, I personally was also at Busoga. But at the moment, we are in different clubs and we are all looking for points. They want the points but we also need them,” he said.
“It is therefore going to be a hard game but we shall also fight hard to maintain our position at the top, and with the performance we are having at the moment, I know we shall win it.”
“We shall not take any game for granted now that we are on top of the table. We shall fight hard to get all the three points.”
Joel Madondo said;
“I am a former player there and I know what they are capable of doing. But as BUL, we have prepared enough to take on them and get the three points. The camp is lively and everyone is enthusiastic and excited to play.”
Head to Head
P15 W5 D7 L3
This fixture has produced 15 meetings between the two teams in all competitions, resulting into five wins for BUL, three victories for Busoga and seven draws.
Last four encounters
February 25, 2022
Busoga United 0-3 BUL FC
March 25, 2022
Busoga United 1-1 BUL FC
November 25, 2022
BUL FC 2-0 Busoga United
April 21, 2023
Busoga United 1-1 BUL FC
- BUL FC have nine wins, two draws and a loss this campaign– gathering 29 points, the most of any side in the league.
- Since losing to UPDF in November, the Eastern Giants are unbeaten in their past five matches – winning three and drawing two.
- They have also scored ten goals and conceded five across the run.
- Out of the 12 matches, they have kept five clean sheets – with three coming at home.
- It is 13 points for BUL as a result of four wins and a draw in five home matches. They have also conceded the least goals at home this season – two.
- The Eastern Giants have won three of their last five meetings with Busoga United – won 5-0 in December 2021, 3-0 in February 2022, drew 1-1 in March, then dispatched their neighbors 2-0 in November of the same year before sharing the points in April 2023.
- Only two players have scored hat-tricks in this fixture, and all were in BUL colors – Joseph Ssemujju in their 3-1 victory in December 2020 and Ibra Nsimbe in December 2021 during the 5-0 win.
- The sides have played seven draws between themselves; two were 0-0 draws, four stalemates finished 1-1 while the other draw ended 2-2.
- This derby has produced 34 goals since 2016, 21 of them scored by BUL FC.
- The ties between the sides have produced at least a goal except on two occasions – the barren stalemates of September 2016 and March 2017.
- Busoga United have collected six points, scored four goals and conceded thirteen in six away matches.
- They have three wins this season which were equally spread in the past three months. They beat Arua Hill, Gaddafi and KCCA FC in September, October and November respectively.
- Out of their last three games, they have drawn two – against Maroons and URA FC.
- But since winning at Gaddafi FC, they have lost their last three away matches consecutively. They lost at Bright Stars, SC Villa and Wakiso Giants.
- Their last victory over BUL was two years ago when they beat the Eastern Giants 1-0 in April 2021 courtesy of Ivan Wani’s goal at Kyabazinga stadium.
Kasalirwe Lucky is the referee for this match, will be assisted by Mafumu Mustapha and Mbabali Samuel as the first and second assistant referee. Duula Johua will be the fourth official while Kityo Asumani will be the referee assessor.
The game will be live on television but you can also follow the action through our social media channels below, with full text coverage during the game, followed by a match report.
Facebook: Bul Football Club – Jinja