BUL FC were defeated 2-1 away at Gaddafi FC at the Gaddafi Arena despite a spirited second half performance. The Eastern Giants missed a penalty in the early exchanges and hit the wood work in the second half, while Gerald Ogweti got off the mark as he scored his first goal for BUL since joining the club from big league side Lugazi FC.

The hosts looked threatening in the wide areas and ultimately profited from two first half goals to take all the three points.

Frank Mulimi opened the scoring for the Soldier boys with eleven minutes played. The winger picked up a pass, spun around Nicholas Mwere and into box before  poking the ball under the arms of the advancing goalkeeper Joel Mutakubwa to score in an empty net.

At the half hour mark, they went 2-0 up through a Ronald Bithum Nsumbiano header following a dangerous ball into the area.

But before the deficit, BUL declined a chance of their own to go into the lead on four minutes in. Joel Madondo fired a penalty kick straight at goalkeeper Andrew Ssekandi after Reagan Kalyowa was fouled in the forbidden area by Franco Magero Balabala.

With the score line at 1-0, they went close to equalizing when Gaddafi failed to clear in the 26th minute, with the ball falling into the path of Reagan Kalyowa but his effort from inside the box was charged down by the lively Gaddafi goalkeeper.

Coach Abbey Kikomeko made a double change for the Eastern Giants at halftime. Gerald Ogweti and Ibrahim Muglusi came on for Joel Madondo and Reagan Kalyowa, and their impact was immediately felt.

BUL then began the second half with attacking intent. A neat passing move involving Jerome Kirya and Mugulusi teed up Martin Aprem whose shot clipped off the post with the goalkeeper out of place.

Buoyed by a positive opening, the Eastern Giants went forward again, and this time, their efforts were rewarded with a goal. Ogweti curled the ball from the left side to pull one back.

Just before the 80th minute mark, the coach made another double change in the bid to force at least a draw. There was also a change in the formation, switching to a back three after introducing attackers Shafik Kwikiriza and Samuel Ssekamatte for Martin Aprem and defender Douglas Muganga.

In the closing stages, BUL dominated and was in total control of the affairs on the pitch but there was resolute defending from the soldier boys – thus condemning Kikomeko’s side to a second loss this season.

BUL remained in the first place with 32 points from 14 matches.

They will be in the league action again on Saturday against Mbarara City at FUFA technical centre in Njeru.

Starting XI:

Joel Mutakubwa(GK), Douglas Muganga (Samuel Ssekamatte 78’), Nicholas Mwere, Ronald Otti, Walter Ochora, George Kasonko, Jerome Kirya, Martin Aprem (Shafik Kwikiriza 78’),   Alex Kitata, Reagan Kalyowa (Ibrahim Mugulusi 45’) Joel Madondo (Gerald Ogweti 45’).

Unused substitutes:

Tom Ikara (GK), Benon Tahomera, Mathew Odongo Tayo, Vicent Zziwa, Emmanuel Obua, Allan Kiggundu.