Friday October 20, 2023
Uganda Premier League
BUL FC Vs Maroons
FUFA Technical Centre
BUL Football Club welcomes Maroons to the FUFA Technical Centre on Friday as the Eastern Giants look to extend our winning run to four.
It was a breathless end to last season as the team succumbed to 14 matches without victory, but despite the disappointment, the club’s recent exploits have to be admired given the Eastern Giants are second on the table just after three matches.
Under the stewardship of new coach Abbey Kikomeko Bogere, BUL did start the new season in fine fettle – defeating Bright Stars, KCCA FC and Arua Hill to gather nine points same as leaders Kitara.
It’s unfathomable to think therefore that the boys can let the foot off the gas now. They will look to go out full throttle and get three points on the board.
Maroons just like us are still unbeaten. They defeated Wakiso Giants, and then drew with SC Villa prior to pulling another master stroke against KCCA in their 2-1 victory at Lugogo. They are two points behind us in third.
The last time the sides came up against one another was on 27th May 2023 at the Prisons ground with the match ending 0-0 but the reverse fixture had ended 5-0 in BUL’s favor.
Joel Madondo will miss the match. Joel Mutakubwa and Lawrence Tezikya have returned from the national duty. The rest of the squad are available and are all in contention.
“We are playing a team that has just won against KCCA. So, they are well motivated and in high gear,” coach Abbey Kikomeko said.
“They won away from home and we also won our away game. This is going to be an interesting encounter now that we are both going to fight to win to see who goes top of the table.”
“When you look at the way Maroons plays and our style of play, we almost have the same size of players and the character is almost the same. But we are prepared to get the points since we are at home. We shall put in whatever is needed to get the points from them.”
“We are coming into this game with three points on our minds. Beating them 5-0 last season is not important now. What matters is our performance this season,” he said.
“We have been winning and having a good run. That is what we are going to build on to beat Maroons. Our fans should come expecting victory.”
Head to Head
P10 W7 D1 L2
In the last seven years, the sides have clashed ten (10) times, resulting into seven BUL wins, two victories for Maroons and a draw.
Last four encounters
January 30, 2019
BUL FC 1-0 Maroons
October 30, 2018
Maroons 1-2 BUL FC
December 21, 2022
BUL FC 5-0 Maroons
May 27, 2023
Maroons 0-0 BUL FC
- BUL have collected maximum points (9) as a result of three wins from as many games this season, scoring four goals and conceding one in the process.
- The Eastern Giants have not lost in four consecutive home matches since April, although they can only show one win from the run.
- They have also won the last five matches when home to Maroons, a record dating back to 2016. This feat has come with 12 unanswered goals.
- Of the 23 goals in the past ten games between the two teams, BUL have eighteen (18) to their account.
- The previous 10 clashes produced a winner except on one occasion, the 0-0 stalemate in April last season at the Prisons grounds.
- From a possible nine points, Maroons have picked seven as a result of two wins and a draw from their opening three games, and they remain one of the only six unbeaten sides this term.
- With just three games played, Maroons are the highest goal scorers so far with six goals, at the same time also boasting with the leading goal scorer in Fred Amaku who has three to his name.
- The Prison warders have won all their two away matches this term, beating Wakiso Giants 3-0 in September and defeating KCCA FC 2-1 at Lugogo at the start of this month.
- It’s however only two wins for them against BUL, with the last one coming three years ago. The first was a 1-0 victory in December of 2017 courtesy of William Kiibi’s second half strike, before winning again three years later in January of 2020 when they defeated the Eastern Giants 2-0. Fred Amaku and Stephen Mukwala were the scorers.
Follow the action through our social media channels for the minute to minute updates about the game.
Facebook: Bul Football Club – Jinja