Alex Kitata in action against Maroons


BUL FC produced a slick attacking performance to beat Maroons 3-0 at FUFA Technical Centre in Njeru to go top of the league table with 12 points after four games.

All the three goals were scored inside the first half on an evening that saw Alex Kitata score his first brace for the club.

Both sides came into the clash unbeaten but the visitors never looked like troubling BUL and had no answers to their incisiveness in attack.

Maroons offered practically nothing in the opening half, apart from Baden Mujahid and Innocent Biyika’s desperate efforts that were largely wild.

The Eastern Giants enjoyed themselves from the word go and soon George Kasonko and Jerome Kirya called Maroons’ goalkeeper Amir Nalugoda into action just under five minutes.

They continued to tear into the visitors and the locks were finally let loose, with the first goal arriving on seven minutes.

Douglas Muganga floated a long ball from the centre arc, and despite all the wails by goalkeeper Nalugoda to allow him have the ball, defender Jacob Okao brilliantly brushed into an empty net to gift BUL a well-deserved lead which left FUFA Technical Centre in rapturous jubilations.

Six minutes later, Abbey Kikomeko’s men went 2-0 up with another clinical finish. Alex Kitata found himself through on goal to win the ball so easily and doubled our advantage when he swept home from inside the area off Nicholas Mwere’s curling low cross.

Jerome Kirya

Kirya should have extended our lead when he was found by the forward in a good position but his header sailed out.

Mwere and Kitata combined again for BUL’s third which sealed the win two minutes after the half hour. Maroons static defending allowed the former’s long throw from the left to bounce with Kitata reacting fast to earn himself a brace, sliding his goal tally to three this season.

Kikomeko’s opposite Muhamed Ssenfuma woke from his slumber and called for changes immediately before the break. Edward Kabona replaced Jacob Okao in defense while Ronald Orombi came on for Felix Okot. Maroons improved instantly as the veteran ran the show in the midfield but his efforts were not enough to tilt the results into their favor.

The teams equally fought for control of the game in the second half, defending cautiously and having much of the action in the midfield but with limited breakthroughs and chances.

Substitute Sula Mpanga forced a save from Tom Ikara before Fred Amaku who had been quiet and humble all evening appeared with an effort which was well dealt with.

Samuel Ssekamatte had a late opportunity too for BUL, blazing over from close range.

The victory ensured the Eastern Giants maintained a healthy bill after four matches, with four wins in as many games. Next will be a trip to Muteesa II stadium – Wankulukuku for a clash with SC Villa next week on Tuesday.

Starting XI:

Tom Ikara (GK), Hillary Onek, Nicholas Mwere (Emmanuel Obua), Douglas Muganga, Walter Ochora, Pascal Ngobi (Ibrahim Kazindula 46’), George Kasonko, Jerome Kirya, Reagan Kalyowa (Shafiq Kwikiriza 82’), Mathew Odong Tayo (Martin Aprem), Alex Kitata (Samuel Ssekamatte).

Unused Subs:

Joel Mutakubwa (GK), Lawrence Tezikya, Ronald Otti,  Gerald Ogweti, Edrine  Opaala